2016-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (with addenda) 
    Jul 15, 2024  
2016-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (with addenda) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Academic Requirements and Policies

This section details the general School-wide degree requirements that apply to all NYU Tandon School of Engineering graduate degrees. Academic departments may place additional requirements on individual degrees. Such additional requirements are explained in the programs section of this catalog. In no case may a department specify requirements less stringent than those indicated here.

Outcomes Assessment

NYU Tandon School of Engineering conducts outcomes assessment activities to monitor student academic achievement, effective teaching methods and continuous improvement of the School, as well as to comply with accreditation standards. To obtain periodic measurements of student perceptions and intellectual growth, graduate students are strongly encouraged to participate in surveys, focus groups, interviews or related activities. While individual input is collected, data resulting from these assessments is published only in aggregate form.

Definition of Credits

Graduate studies are expressed in terms of credits. One 50-minute period of graduate class work for a 15-week, single semester carries 1 graduate credit. A standard graduate course meeting for two-and-a-half hours per week in a single semester of 15 weeks is equivalent to 3 credits. This format is the most common for graduate courses. Graduate laboratories meet three times per graduate credit (i.e., two-and-a-half-hours per week in a single semester of 15 weeks is equivalent to 1 credit). Courses meeting more or less than two-and-a-half hours each week are assigned credits in the correct proportion. The final examination period is an integral part of the 15-week semester.


Graduate Degrees and Advanced Certificates

Graduate Advanced Certificate Programs

NYU Tandon School of Engineering offers several graduate advanced certificate programs in specialized subject areas for students who do not wish to enroll in a full-degree program. Detailed descriptions of the certificate programs are available from the responsible departments.

Admission Requirements

Admission requirements for certificate programs are the same as those for related MS programs. Applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher, and GREs are required from those applying for full-time study. Applicants must be admitted formally to a certificate program before beginning graduate course work.

Graduation Requirements

Depending on the program, 12 to 15 credits must be taken at NYU School of Engineering to earn a certificate, and no transfer credits for certificates are permitted. Courses taken for a certificate may be applied toward the future pursuit of an MS, ME, or PhD graduate degree, but not to another certificate program. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all graduate courses taken at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering to receive a certificate.

Students in such a program who subsequently decide to pursue a graduate degree must file a separate application for admission to the respective graduate program. 

Master of Science

Admission Requirements

Admission to Master of Science programs requires a bachelor’s degree and at least four years of college-level courses in a preparatory discipline from an institution acceptable to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better is required for admission. GRE scores are recommended for all applicants, and are required for anyone applying for full-time study or seeking merit-based scholarships. Applicants seeking admission to the MS in Integrated Digital Media are exempt from the GRE requirement, and those seeking admission to technology management-related degrees are encouraged to submit GMAT scores instead of the GRE. Letters of Recommendation, a Statement of Purpose, and a professional resume are also required from all applicants seeking admission to any graduate program.

Graduation Requirements

Candidates for the degree of Master of Science must complete no fewer than 30 credits of graduate courses and research beyond the bachelor’s degree in the program selected. Academic departments may require additional credits for individual degrees. Individual programs may specify required courses, minimum GPAs in specific courses or course groups, or require a comprehensive examination, presentation of a seminar, or completion of a project or thesis. Specific course requirements for each MS program are detailed in the programs section of this catalog. To obtain the MS degree, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (equivalent to a B letter grade) or better in all graduate work undertaken at the NYU School of Engineering and any other school of NYU, including courses not used to fulfill specific program requirements. The average of B or better includes all guided studies, readings, projects, theses and dissertations. Students may offer no more than a combined total of 9 credits of project, guided studies, readings, or thesis toward fulfillment of the MS degree requirements. Students taking project or thesis must register for at least 3 credits of project or thesis every semester until the work is completed and a grade recorded (also refer to the section Maintenance of Studies).

MS students may elect to complete an MS project or MS thesis and may be required to do so in certain programs. Consult the programs section in this catalog for details. A project usually entails 3 to 6 credits, while an MS thesis is generally a more extended piece of research, usually entailing 6 to 9 credits.  At this level, research should exhibit a thorough understanding of advanced scientific thought and an ability to apply advanced principles constructively to engineering planning and design.

Manuscript Presentation 

Degree candidates must present their research to the appointed guidance committee in final manuscript form for official acceptance no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. The accepted format for the bound research document is detailed in the “Regulations on Format, Duplication and Publication of Project Reports, Theses and Dissertations.” Detailed information is available on the NYU Tandon School of Engineering website.

Graduate students registered for MS thesis credits must submit four final bound copies to their department for necessary signatures, and then present them to the Office of Graduate Academics one week before the end of the semester.

Master of Engineering

Admission Requirements

All regulations and requirements for the Master of Engineering degree, including those governing admissions, graduation, and residency, are identical to those for the Master of Science degree.

Graduation Requirements

Candidates for the degree Master of Engineering must complete no fewer than 30 credits of graduate courses (including a maximum of 9 credits of research) beyond the bachelor’s degree in the program. The Master of Engineering is for students seeking in-depth knowledge in fields requiring courses from multiple disciplines, especially those taught by several different academic departments. Students create their study program, including at least one graduate certificate, with the approval of a graduate adviser. A capstone experience is required for graduation.

Doctor of Philosophy

Admission Requirements

Students may apply to a doctoral program either directly after a bachelor’s degree or after completing a master’s degree. In either case, a GPA of 3.0 or better is required in all previous degree programs and a GPA of 3.5 or better is typically expected. GRE scores are required for all full-time PhD applicants. The admissions process for the doctoral program follows the same path as that of the Master of Science and Master of Engineering applications. Highly qualified candidates whose interests are incompatible with the faculty’s research interests may not be admitted. Additionally, most departments admit only the number of students that they can financially support, and qualified candidates may not be admitted due to limited availability of funding.

Graduation Requirements

All doctoral candidates must complete a minimum of 75 credits of graduate work beyond the bachelor’s degree, including a minimum of 21 credits of dissertation research (or more, depending on major). Requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy are qualitative and quantitative. Students will find that the formal requirements of residence, course credits, and dissertation provide a framework within which they are free to construct individual programs for creative learning at an advanced level. Students must satisfy the detailed requirements of the selected degree program.

Each PhD student must complete a PhD dissertation. Research at this level must demonstrate critical and constructive thought, as well as the ability to use the techniques necessary to explore and develop new knowledge in mathematics, science, or engineering. A successful dissertation must demonstrably advance the subject area of research. School requirements for dissertations set a minimum of 21 credits of registration. All research should be characterized by accuracy of observation and measurement, and by clarity and completeness in presentation. The conclusions presented must be supported by adequate studies and investigations, and supplemented by a complete bibliography.

Graduate students in a PhD program should confer with an adviser in the department of major interest regarding: 1) selection of courses; 2) major and minor fields of study; 3) formulation of a guidance committee; 4) qualifying and language examinations; 5) degree candidacy.

Students in a PhD program must take and pass doctoral qualifying examination(s) administered by their major department. These examinations are generally scheduled once or twice yearly, and students should consult their academic department for further information. Students are highly encouraged to take the examination(s) in their first year of the program, and they may not register for dissertation research until they have passed the examination(s).  If students have not passed by the end of their second year, they may be disqualified from the PhD program. Within six months of passing the examination(s), students and their dissertation adviser must form a dissertation-guidance committee that will oversee course selection, provide research guidance, and ensure that satisfactory progress is being made toward completion of the dissertation in a timely manner. Course selection must ensure that requirements of major and minors set forth by the respective programs are met. The committee, at its discretion or bound by departmental regulations, may require students to present a dissertation research proposal. The committee is expected to meet at least once per semester to assess student progress, and doctoral students must defend their dissertation in front of this committee.  Doctoral students must obtain a checklist of the milestones and requirements for the PhD program from the Office of Graduate Academics.

All doctoral students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better at all times and a B or better for the dissertation, and some departments have further specific course or grade requirements that must be fulfilled. Once students begin their dissertation research, they must register for at least 3 credits of dissertation every semester until the dissertation is completed and successfully defended (also refer to the section on Maintenance of Studies).

Manuscript Presentation

Degree candidates must present their research to the appointed guidance committee in final manuscript form for official acceptance no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. The accepted format for the bound research document is detailed in the “Regulations on Format, Duplication and Publication of Project Reports, Theses and Dissertations.” Detailed information is available on the NYU Tandon School of Engineering website.

Graduate students registered for PhD dissertation credits must submit four final bound copies to their department for necessary signatures and then present them to the Office of Graduate Academics one week before the end of the semester.


Doctoral dissertations are published by UMI Dissertation Publishing (ProQuest). The cost of this service is charged to the student. Publishing with UMI ensures that the dissertation thesis gains the widest possible audience. Any interested person can purchase copies of a dissertation through the company’s website.

The faculty regards publication of the major content of a doctoral dissertation in a recognized scientific journal as a necessary final step if the work performed is to achieve maximum usefulness. The publication must indicate, by footnote or otherwise, its basis as a New York University School of Engineering dissertation.


Graduate Credits and Requirements


To satisfy residency requirements for a graduate degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, students must complete the following minimum number of credits at the School:

  • Graduate Certificate: All credits (12-15, depending on certificate)
  • Master of Science: Total number of credits required, less 9 (at least 21 credits of residency)
  • Master of Engineering: Total number of credits required, less 9 (at least 21 credits of residency)
  • Doctor of Philosophy: 27 credits (including all dissertation credits)

Transfer Credits

Applications for transfer credits must be submitted for consideration before the end of the first semester of matriculation. Courses with grades below B are not eligible for transfer. Transfer credits for courses taken after matriculation at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering are rarely accepted and must be approved by the student’s academic department and by the Office of Graduate Academics before the course is taken. Grades for transferred credits or courses are not recorded and are not included in GPA calculations.


No transfer credit is permitted for graduate certificates.

Master of Science and Master of Engineering

A maximum of 9 credits may be accepted as transfer credits towards an MS or ME degree. Transfer credits must be approved by the student’s department, the Associate Dean for Graduate Academics, and the Office of the Registrar. Courses that have been counted towards an awarded undergraduate or graduate degree, whether taken at NYU or another institution, may not be transferred toward a master’s degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Credits submitted for consideration must be: 1) from accredited institutions; 2) consistent with NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s residency requirements; 3) completed with grades B or better; 4) consistent with the curriculum in which the student is registered; 5) taken after receipt of a bachelor’s degree, with the exception of NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s undergraduate students (See section: Transfer Policy Exceptions: NYU Tandon Undergraduate Students). Theses, projects and guided studies or readings courses cannot be transferred.

Doctor of Philosophy

Doctoral students may transfer a blanket 30-credits from a prior MS degree. For the blanket 30-credit transfer, the prior MS need not be a 30-credit MS, so long as an MS degree (or equivalent) was granted, and a copy of the degree and detailed transcripts are presented. Additional courses taken after receipt of a bachelor’s degree, but not counted towards an awarded degree may be eligible for transfer, up to a maximum of 18 credits. Additional courses individually transferred cannot include project, thesis, dissertation, guided studies or readings, or special topics credits. The total number of transferred credits for the PhD degree may not exceed 48. Some programs have additional restrictions; students should also consult the program specific portion of the bulletin for further information.

Transfer Policy Exceptions

NYU Tandon School of Engineering Undergraduate Students

While transfer policies normally preclude the transfer of graduate credit taken prior to the receipt of a bachelor’s degree, an exception is made for NYU students who take graduate courses while pursuing an undergraduate degree at any school of NYU. Such graduate courses may be applied subsequently to a graduate degree at NYU Tandon provided that students earned a B grade or better, that the individual courses were not used to fulfill requirements for the undergraduate degree, and that the courses are acceptable based on the particular graduate degree curriculum requirement.

The sum of transfer credits from other institutions and internal transfer credits from other NYU schools (including graduate courses taken while matriculated as NYU undergraduates) cannot exceed the total number of transfer credits permitted for Advanced Certificates, MS and PhD degrees as specified above in the section on “Transfer Credits.”

These exceptions to the Transfer Policy are effective for any student admitted for the Spring 2017 semester forward.

NYU Tandon School of Engineering BS/MS Students

NYU Tandon School of Engineering students enrolled in a joint BS/MS program with a study plan pre-approved by an academic adviser may take graduate level courses prior to receiving their bachelor’s degree, and may apply these courses towards the requirements of their MS program without credit restriction. Graduate courses used to satisfy undergraduate degree requirements, however, cannot be used to satisfy graduate degree requirements. BS/MS students must maintain a minimum 3.0 CGPA in all graduate level courses, or they risk being disqualified from the BS/MS program.

Period of Validity

Graduate courses reflect the current state of the art in their respective fields. Thus, all courses that are more than 10 years old at the beginning of graduate study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, whether taken previously at the School or at another institution, are ineligible for transfer and will not count towards the satisfaction of degree requirements. The blanket 30-credit transfer of an MS degree taken at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering or elsewhere towards a PhD program is exempt from this period of validity and does not expire.

Graduate Validation Credits

When it is unclear whether a course taken outside the NYU Tandon School of Engineering is suitable for transfer credit, students may qualify for transfer credit for that course by passing a validation examination. Permission to take the examination must be recorded in advance on the student’s transfer-evaluation form. The examination format is at the discretion of the department giving the course. Scheduling of the examination is by mutual agreement, but in no event can it be scheduled more than one calendar year after the student begins study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering. A grade of B or better is required for graduate students. An examination may not be taken more than once. A student who registers for or attends the course at NYU Tandon School of Engineering forfeits the right to take a validation examination.

The sum of validation credits and transfer credits is limited to 9 credits for the MS and ME degrees.

One exception to the paragraphs above regarding transfer credit and graduate validation credit: Mathematics graduate students (MS and PhD) will be permitted, with adviser approval, to exceed the 9-credit limit on transfer credits and validation units by taking specified, adviser-approved courses at the Courant Institute of NYU. In the case of MS students, such approval may not raise the number of such courses above four.

Maximum Time for Completion

Certificate Students

Graduate certificate programs must be completed within 3 years from the time of admission to graduate studies at NYU Tandon.

MS and ME Students

MS and ME degree programs must be completed within 5 years from the beginning of graduate studies at NYU Tandon.

PhD Students Admitted Prior to Spring 2019

PhD programs must be completed within 6 years for full-time students and 12 years for part-time students, counting from the time of admission to graduate studies at NYU Tandon (not from the beginning of PhD studies).

PhD Students Admitted as of Spring 2019

Full-time PhD students transferring in 24 or more credits are granted 6 years to complete their PhD studies, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program at NYU Tandon. Full-time students transferring fewer than 24 credits have 7 years to complete the PhD program, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program. Part-time PhD students must complete all requirements for the PhD within 9 years, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program.

Extensions of these time periods are rarely granted and require prior approval from the Associate Dean of Graduate Academics. Students must request an extension at least 60 days prior to the deadline for completion. If an extension is granted, not all courses taken previously may count towards the degree. The Associate Dean, consulting with the department, will prepare a plan for the student to follow to obtain the degree.

Graduate Registration Policies

All graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 1.5 credits each fall and spring semester until they graduate. However, if students begin an MS project or thesis, or a PhD dissertation, they must register for at least 3 credits of project, thesis, or dissertation every fall and spring semester until it has been completed and accepted. Thus, while students who have not previously enrolled in research credits may satisfy registration requirements and maintain their student status by registering for 1.5 credits, students who have begun a project, thesis, or dissertation in a previous semester and who have not yet completed must register for a minimum of 3 credits (of research) each fall and spring until complete. (Also refer to the section on Maintenance of Studies.)

Graduate Registration Status

Graduate students pay tuition at the per-credit rate. Full-time status is defined by the following:

  • Full-time MS students must be registered for 9 credits or more each semester. Students who are normally full-time may register for fewer credits during their last semester by registering for only the number of credits necessary for graduation. During this last semester they are part-time, but can be treated as full-time-equivalent for immigration purposes only (not for the purpose of financial aid eligibility) by requesting full-time-equivalency status from the Office of Global Services.
  • Full-time MS students in the lock-step, cohort-based, executive-format MS programs are registered for all courses specified by the program as published in the catalog each semester. These programs require distinct courses and/or projects, each bearing credits approved for the program.
  • Prior to passing the qualifying exam, full-time PhD students must register for a minimum of 9 credits per term.  Upon passing the qualifying exam, students may maintain full-time status by registering for a minimum of 3 credits of dissertation per semester.  Students who are not officially enrolled in a PhD program, irrespective of whether or not they have passed the qualifying exam, must continue to take a minimum of 9 credits per semester until they are formally admitted to a PhD program.

A status of non-matriculated or visiting student allows students to take up to three graduate courses at NYU Tandon School of Engineering (maximum of 2 courses or 6 credits per semester) without formally applying for admission to a graduate program. If these students desire to continue at NYU Tandon School of Engineering as matriculated students in a graduate degree or certificate program, they must follow the formal application process, and admission is not guaranteed.


Maintenance of Studies

MS Students: Under exceptional and well-documented circumstances, graduate students seeking an MS degree in a program that requires an MS thesis or MS project may, with the permission of the thesis or project adviser, request one semester of Maintenance of Studies to complete the project or thesis. For permission to be granted, students and their advisers must provide adequate written justification to the Office of Graduate Academics.

PhD Students: PhD students who have completed all required courses and dissertation credits, and who have completed all of their doctoral research, may register for up to two semesters of Maintenance of Studies with no tuition charge (School fees apply). Maintenance of Studies officially maintains the student’s degree candidacy. Students who have not completed their doctoral research must continue to register for dissertation credits.

Modifications to Curricula

Curricula and courses change from time to time in order to keep students abreast of the latest knowledge and methods within subject areas. Students are required to satisfy the curriculum and degree requirements in effect at the time of their matriculation and must obtain current degree requirements from their program adviser.

In order to accommodate curriculum and course revisions, it is sometimes necessary to substitute a course for one specified in the curriculum. Students may also request course substitutions to tailor their studies to their interests. Both the program adviser and the Office of Graduate Academics must approve all course substitutions. 


Graduate International Students

Full-time Status, Program and Degree Changes

To maintain non-immigrant student status, international students must maintain full-time status every fall and spring semester for the entire semester (i.e., withdrawing from a course during the semester may jeopardize full-time status). Students are not required to enroll during the summer semester and may enroll for credits at their discretion. International students may register for online courses, but must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits of on-ground course work per term. All questions concerning this regulation should be addressed with the Office of Global Services (OGS). Students may take less than a full course of study if fewer credits are needed during the last semester prior to graduation, but they must notify OGS prior to the beginning of the semester and obtain full-time equivalency status. Students may qualify for a reduced course load (RCL) for valid academic and medical reasons. All exceptions must be approved by OGS before the last day of registration (the add/drop deadline) each semester so that courses can be added to the student’s schedule if necessary. Only one semester of reduced course load (RCL) for academic reasons is permitted per degree level.

Students in F-1 and J-1 status must obtain written permission from OGS for any Leave of Absence request, or to withdraw from classes if the withdrawal results in less than a full course load. They also must obtain written permission and the pertinent I-20/DS-2019 form before enrolling in a new degree program. The process of withdrawing from a course, changing programs, changing degree level, or taking a Leave of Absence through the Office of the Registrar keeps a non-immigrant student in good standing only with the School, but not with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), unless proper approval is obtained from OGS. Students planning on employment as part of their course work must obtain prior approval from OGS for any such employment.

Failure to comply with the immigration requirements for full-time status, course withdrawals, program changes, degree level changes, or Leave of Absence violates the non-immigrant student’s status and renders a student ineligible for any benefit of that status. According to USCIS, lack of compliance may also result in deportation.


Policies on Grading and Grades

Computing the Grade-Point Average for Graduate Students

For the purposes of computing GPAs for graduate students and graduate courses, the following schedule is used.

 Grade Point Value Description  

  A 4.0 Excellent  
  A- 3.7 Excellent  
  B+ 3.3 Good  
  B 3.0 Good  
  B- 2.7 Good  
  C+ 2.3 Deficient, but Passing  
  C 2.0 Deficient, but Passing  
  F 0.0 Failing  
  P   Pass (no GPA value)  
  S   Satisfactory  
  U   Unsatisfactory  
  W   Withdrawal  
  I   Incomplete, converts to F after 180 days  
  AUD   Audit  

Grades S and U reflect progress on research efforts. Once the thesis or dissertation is completed, the letter grade is entered on the transcript for all research registrations. Noncredit seminar courses are graded P or F. Other than research credits, no credit-bearing courses can be assigned S or U grades. A student cannot graduate if a grade of U is on the transcript for any credit-bearing course or for research efforts at the time of graduation. A grade of I cannot be assigned to a course that is graded S or U. Grades S, U, I, W and AUD are not included in computing the GPA.

Graduate Bridge and Preparatory Courses

Many programs offer graduate bridge or preparatory courses to accommodate the needs of students who lack certain undergraduate preparation. Generally, bridge or preparatory courses cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements, particularly for degrees within the department that offers the course. However, these courses are included in the calculation of a student’s graduate GPA. Some graduate students may be required to take certain undergraduate courses as preparation for advanced graduate study. Undergraduate courses are not included in the student’s GPA calculation.

Repeating Courses

The first time a graduate student repeats a course, the lower grade is not counted towards the GPA. All subsequent grades in a course repeated more than once are included in the GPA, although degree credit is earned only once.

Course Withdrawal: The W Grade

Students may withdraw from a course or courses without academic penalty until the published withdrawal deadline of the normal fall or spring semester. Students should process their own withdrawals online via Albert Student Center during the first two weeks of the semester. After the first two weeks, students must complete a paper add/drop form and submit the form to the Office of Graduate Academics. In all cases, students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisers, as withdrawing from certain courses may delay their planned graduation date, and international students should make sure that they do not drop below full-time status (9 credits). Students who have been placed on final academic probation are not permitted to withdraw from courses without prior approval from the Office of Graduate Academics.

When the course duration varies from the norm, such as in six-, nine- or 12-week courses, please consult with the NYU Tandon SOE Records and Registration Office for deadline information. Withdrawn courses remain on the student’s transcript with a grade of W and are not calculated into the GPA. Once entered on the student’s record, a W cannot be changed to any other grade. An F grade is recorded for any student who ceases to attend a course without formally withdrawing by the required deadline.

International students who wish to withdraw from a course, or courses, must have prior approval from OGS if withdrawing will leave them with fewer than nine credits of registration.

Auditing Courses

Graduate students may audit courses instead of receiving credits and grades for them. Regular tuition is charged and courses are treated as part of a full-time load. An AUD notation is made on the student’s permanent record.

Interested graduate students should see their advisers and must notify the NYU Tandon SOE Office of Records and Registration within the first two weeks of the semester if they select courses for audit status. Under no circumstances may an audit status be changed to credit status once elected. Audited courses do not count toward satisfying graduation requirements.

Incomplete Grades 

If a student cannot complete the course work at the usual time because of valid reasons, such as illness or other critical emergency, the instructor may give a grade of Incomplete/I. In such cases, the instructor and the student must develop a detailed plan for completion that includes a specific completion date. Ordinarily this date should not extend beyond the intersession, in fairness to students who finish course requirements on time and to ensure that students complete prerequisites for advanced courses. An Incomplete grade converts to an F if the student fails to complete the work within the specified completion timeline, or at most by 180 days after the end of the semester in which the student was enrolled in the course. All Incomplete grades must be converted before graduation.

The grade of Incomplete/I is used sparingly and only in cases with valid reasons, not merely because students have planned poorly or overloaded themselves. An Incomplete grade should not be issued if a student is unable to complete the course requirements without attending or participating in the course a second time. If the student reregisters for a course in which an Incomplete grade was given, the Incomplete grade lapses to an F. If successful resolution of an Incomplete grade would require the repetition of any course or portion of a course, the instructor should not assign an Incomplete, and should instead counsel the student to withdraw from the course.

Change of Grade

Grades on file with the Registrar, with the exception of Incomplete/I grades and temporary grades (S or U), are considered final unless an error in calculating or recording the grade is discovered. No correctly reported final grade may be changed based upon re-taking an examination or completion of additional work. Incomplete/I grades are handled according to the policies described under Incomplete Grades. Temporary grades (S or U), used for continuing projects, thesis or dissertation, will be converted to standard letter grades upon completion of the project, thesis or dissertation. Once recorded with the Registrar, these grades are treated as all other final grades. If an error in calculating or reporting a grade is discovered, the instructor will submit the change of grade request to the Department Chair. If approved by the Department Chair, the request will be submitted to the Associate Dean for Graduate Academics for consideration. Any incorrectly assigned grade must be corrected within one semester.

GPA Restart

If a student who has completed a master’s degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering wishes to pursue another master’s degree(s), the student’s GPA is re-started. In this way, the academic performance for each degree is accurately represented.  A GPA cannot be restarted at the beginning of or during the PhD degree program.  Any GPA restart is noted on the student’s transcript.


Academic Standing and Probation

Graduate students are expected to progress in their studies and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at all times. Failure to do so results in the student being placed on academic probation. Graduate students are permitted a maximum of 2 semesters of probation, and these semesters need not be sequential in order to count towards the maximum limit.

Student academic progress is evaluated at the end of the spring and fall semesters (and at the end of the summer for summer admits only), irrespective of Incomplete or temporary (S/U) grades, and irrespective of whether students have dropped or withdrawn from any course(s). Any student whose GPA drops below 3.0 will be placed on probation and notified by the Office of Graduate Academics.

Students on probation must submit a signed Graduate Acknowledgement of Academic Probation and Potential Disqualification form to the Office of Graduate Academics before the start of the next semester. Students who are not yet registered for the following term will not be permitted to do so until the form is submitted to the Office of Graduate Academics. Students already registered will be de-registered from their courses if they do not submit the form. Further, any student who is on a second (final) semester of probation must obtain permission from the Office of Graduate Academics if they wish to make registration changes. The registration hold and the probation form serve to remind students on probation that they are not meeting required academic standards. No indication of academic probation appears on a student’s transcript, but a record is kept on file. Academic disqualification, however, is noted on the student’s transcript.

Students on final probation must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above at the end of that semester, or the student will be disqualified from the School. Disqualified students will not be considered for readmission. If a student is disqualified, any grade of Incomplete, S, or U at the time of disqualification will remain as such on the student’s transcript.

In addition to the academic probation process described above, a major department may request that a graduate student be placed on academic probation at any time. The request and its justification are signed by the Department Chair and sent to the Office of Graduate Academics for approval.

The probationary policies outlined above may differ from the policies governing conditionally admitted students; please refer to the Graduate Admission section on Conditional Admit status for more information, or address specific questions to the Office of Graduate Academics.


Leaves of Absence and Readmission

Leave of Absence

A student who wishes to temporarily suspend graduate studies may request a Leave of Absence. If a Leave of Absence is being requested for medical reasons, please consult with the Office of Student Affairs.  A request for a Leave of Absence for any reason other than medical must be approved by the Office of Graduate Academics.  If the leave is approved, the student’s matriculated status is maintained, and the student may resume his or her studies after the Leave of Absence. The Registrar will record a Leave of Absence on the student’s transcript.

Leaves of Absence, if approved, are granted for a maximum of one year except in extreme cases, such as compulsory national service (if such service is for more than one year). International students must also receive approval for the leave from OGS, as an approved Leave of Absence is an academic decision and does not override OGS concerns. For students admitted prior to Spring 2019, the Leave of Absence does not extend the time limit for earning a degree. For students admitted as of Spring 2019, any approved Leave of Absence does not count against the maximum time to completion, and the time limit will be extended by the number of semesters granted for Leave of Absence. (See section on Maximum Time for Program Completion.) The approval of a Leave of Absence does not preclude subsequent academic disqualification.

In most circumstances, non-medical Leaves of Absence are only approved for students in good academic standing with NYU Tandon SOE.


Students who do not maintain continuous registration and who are not on an approved Leave of Absence must apply to NYU for readmission if they wish to continue their graduate studies. Re-admitted students must pay accrued fees for the lapsed semester(s). If readmitted, their subsequent program attendance will be guided by the terms and conditions of the readmission and by the Bulletin and rules in effect at the time of readmission. Lapsed semesters do not extend the maximum time permitted to complete the degree. If students who re-apply cannot complete their studies within the allotted time permitted from the date of their initial admission to NYU Tandon School of Engineering, they can be re-admitted as a new student, but prior courses will be treated as part of the total transfer credits permitted (see section on Transfer Credits).

Leave of Absence and Readmission for Veterans

Students in graduate programs taking a Leave of Absence to perform military services are reinstated into the same degree program with the same academic status that they had when last in attendance at the institution. The length of absence from the institution cannot exceed five academic years unless the student requests and receives an exception from the Office of Graduate Academics. Such requests when approved by the Office of Graduate Academics constitute assurance of reinstatement to the degree program from which the leave was taken. If the period of absence exceeds the approved leave, students must apply for readmission.


Withdrawal from the University

Voluntary Withdrawal

Graduate students who wish to withdraw completely from NYU Tandon SOE (as opposed to a term withdrawal) must first withdraw from all courses in which they are currently registered, and then they must complete the online total withdrawal form. To receive W grades for the semester, the withdrawal must be completed by the withdrawal deadline indicated in the academic calendar. The mere absence from courses does not constitute official withdrawal, but results in F grades recorded for courses not completed. No complete withdrawal is official unless and until this form is completed and submitted to the NYU Tandon SOE Office of Records and Registration and approved by all required signatories.  Students who submit an online total withdrawal request which is approved must reapply to NYU Tandon SOE should they wish to resume their studies in the future, and readmission is not guaranteed.

Involuntary Withdrawal

NYU Tandon School of Engineering is concerned about the health, safety and well-being of its students. Students judged to be a threat to themselves or to others may be withdrawn involuntarily from the School. The School seeks, whenever possible, for such students to be allowed to continue as active students if they agree to undergo professional care. Full details concerning this policy are available from the Office of Student Affairs.


Application Process for the Award of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy Degrees

Graduate students must file a formal application via Albert Student Center for the award of any NYU Tandon School of Engineering degree or certificate. Filing dates for each semester are published by the University Registrar. Students who do not file by the published deadline dates become candidates for the next conferral period.

Degrees are conferred and diplomas issued three times per year, typically in January, May, and September. All work for the degree must be completed and submitted before the graduation date.

NYU policy prohibits the awarding of a degree to members of the School teaching staff who hold a rank above the grade of Instructor.

Please note that a degree is not awarded unless the student applies for graduation, even if all requirements have been met. The date of the degree follows the application date for its award, not when all requirements are completed. If the application is filed more than two years after completion of degree requirements, the approval process is not automatic, and additional administrative actions may be required on a case-by-case basis.


Diplomas are mailed to the student about eight weeks after the degree conferral date. Diplomas are issued only once, subject to rare exceptions made on a case-by-case basis. Replacement diploma procedures and fees are published on the University Registrar’s website. Replacement diplomas for the NYU Tandon School of Engineering will be printed with the school name at the time of the student’s graduation.

Continuation of Studies Beyond the Initial Certificate or Master of Science

Students planning to pursue additional studies immediately following the award of an advanced degree by NYU Tandon School of Engineering should complete a new application for admission and submit it to the Graduate Admissions Office for review and approval by the department in which the new degree will be pursued. Examples are: 1) progressing from a certificate program to an MS program; 2) progressing from an MS program to a PhD program; 3) seeking a second MS degree from NYU School of Engineering. For rules governing the application of prior NYU School of Engineering credits towards a new degree program, please refer to the section on Transfer Credits and Transfer Policy Exceptions.


Internship Policies and Guidelines

Internship courses are designated by CP-GY and CP-UY. 

These courses provide an opportunity for full-time students to pursue internship and work experiences in their fields of study that enhance and augment classroom learning, while also enhancing the overall educational experience at the undergraduate and graduate level by obtaining practical experience.

Eligibility and Requirements: Students

During the academic year, students must maintain full-time status (graduate students must be enrolled in at least 9 credits; undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits) in order to be able to take CP courses. During the summer, the requirement of full-time study is dropped, but students must have been enrolled full-time in the previous spring semester. Students in their final semester who are taking less than a full-time course load are eligible to participate, but must have been full-time students in the previous semester.

Students must have completed at least two semesters of full-time study. This may include transfer credits from another institution.

Graduate students must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00, as reflected on their academic transcript. Undergraduate students must have a GPA of at least 2.50, as reflected on their academic transcript. Students cannot enroll in CP courses if they have an incomplete grade in any course from a prior semester. Students cannot enroll in a subsequent CP course if they have an Incomplete or a Fail grade from a previous CP course.

Eligibility and Requirements: Work Experiences

During the academic year, work experiences must be at least 12 weeks long. During the summer, they must be at least 8 weeks long. Additionally, the work experience must be a minimum of 240 hours. Start and end dates need not coincide with the first and last day of the semester, but must fit within the semester in order to ensure that final reports may be submitted and grades may be submitted in a timely manner.

During the academic year, students cannot work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Students who are in their final semester of study and who require, and are registered for, no more than 3 credits (in addition to internship credits) may be approved to work 40 hours per week. During the summer, students are permitted to work full-time, provided that they are not also taking more than 3 credits. Work hours must be consistent with the organization’s regular work schedule.

Work experiences must comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act (www.dol.gov/whd/flsa). As such, students must be paid at least minimum wage unless specific exceptions apply. The Department of Labor outlines a six-point test (www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm) regarding unpaid internships. Employers should consult their legal counsel for more information.

Students must be hired as employees of the participating organization and must be paid directly by the organization using a W-2 form. Employers cannot pay students as independent contractors using an IRS 1099 form.

Employers must agree to assign a responsible, ranking employee as the student’s supervisor. This individual will provide appropriate supervision and mentoring, including establishing clear goals and expectations regarding tasks and projects. Employers must be willing to submit written midterm and final evaluations of the student’s work. Experiences will not be approved for companies that are not permitted to submit written evaluations. Employer supervisors must review the student’s final report so that proprietary and/or confidential information can be removed.


Students must obtain an offer letter on organization letterhead from the prospective employer. This letter must identify the company, its address, contact information, the student’s job title, and start and end dates of the internship.

Students must update their placement information through their NYU CareerNet account Profile, per instructions provided by the Wasserman Center for Career Development.

Prospective employers must complete the Employer Registration Form, which includes a detailed job description.

Students will submit their offer letter, Employer Registration Form, and printed NYU CareerNet Profile to their departmental adviser who will identify a suitable faculty adviser. The faculty adviser will be responsible for all academic matters related to the work experience. The faculty adviser will evaluate the relevancy of the work experience and, if approved, will direct the student to register for the appropriate CP course.

For approved International Students, the faculty adviser will provide the Office of Global Scholars (OGS) with all relevant information in order to process work authorization. International Students cannot begin working until they have received work authorization.

The company supervisor must provide a mid-term evaluation and a final evaluation to the faculty supervisor. The student will submit a project report at the end of the term. Some departments or programs may also require a presentation. The report (and presentation, if required) will be included as a part of the assessment for the student’s grade. Faculty advisers will provide guidelines for the reports. All CP courses will be graded as Pass (P) or Fail (F).

With the faculty adviser’s approval, consecutive work experiences may be completed with the same employer. Students must complete the same registration process and follow all procedures for re-applying and enrolling in another CP course. International Students must obtain prior permission from OGS for every period of employment. Students are not authorized to work during the interim period between the end of their prior CPT and the beginning of their next even if they will have an internship with the same company; this jeopardizes their visa status.