2020-2022 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (with addenda) 
    Jun 22, 2024  
2020-2022 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (with addenda) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions, Financial Aid, Tuition and Fees



The courses of study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering are academically rigorous and intellectually challenging; therefore, admission is highly selective. Candidates for admission to graduate programs are evaluated by the department to which they apply. Students seeking admission to the undergraduate programs are evaluated by the professional staff of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

*Due to COVID-19, Admissions will have updates throughout the year that will be updated in real time.

Undergraduate Application Process

Application materials and information about undergraduate admissions may be obtained by contacting the Admissions Office. Please visit the NYU Admissions website for more information.

Undergraduate applicants should complete the Common Application for admission and forward it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at New York University with either the nonrefundable application fee or a fee-waiver request form. Applicants must request that their secondary school and/or college forward official copies of all transcripts to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Additionally, applicants must submit their essays and two letters of recommendation. All freshman applicants must meet standardized testing requirements, which are available on the Undergraduate Admissions website. Transfer applicants may have standardized testing requirements as well. 

*Please note that due to COVID, Admissions is being flexible this year. Please click here for more information. 

New York University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions reviews applications once all required documents are received.

If accepted for admission, applicants should submit an enrollment deposit of $500 to reserve a place in the entering class. This deposit is applied to tuition and fees for the first semester and is non-refundable. Deposits to reserve a place in the entering freshman class are due May 1. Deposits to reserve a place for entering transfer students specified on the admission letter. Students who submit deposits after the deadline will be accommodated only if space in the class is available for the semester.

Applicants accepted for the fall semester may begin their studies in the summer session by completing a visiting student admission application after receiving their official offer of admission. NYU Tandon School of Engineering offers two summer sessions to help students who wish to accelerate or supplement their studies, but students are not expected to officially matriculate as degree-seeking candidates until the Fall.

Admission as First Year Students


Applicants for admission as freshmen are required to submit standardized test results to be considered for admission. If submitting SAT Subject Test, AP, or IB scores, please include one literature or humanities score, one math score, and one science score. Please see the NYU admissions website for specifics on the testing policy. Students who are admitted to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering and plan on enrolling are required to take two placement examinations before registration.

The preferred secondary school course of study is:

Course Years  
English 4  
Science 4  
(Chemistry is required and Physics is strongly recommended.)
Mathematics 4  
(Sequential I, II, III, precalculus, calculus)

This course of study is only a directive, not an absolute requirement. The primary concern of the members of the Committee on Admissions is to determine an applicant’s potential for success at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.

First Year Students with Advanced Standing

Incoming first year students may receive advanced standing with college credit at NYU by scoring exceptionally well on the Advanced Placement Examinations given by the College Board. Specific requirements for administering college credit - for the Advanced Placement and the International Baccalaureate Exam, for the French Baccalaureate or for the General Certificate Exam A Levels, etc. - vary from department to department. Currently, no department at NYU Tandon accepts FB or A Level credits.

Admission under the General Studies Program

Admission to the General Studies Program is by invitation only. Selected first-year applicants to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering are invited to submit an application and may be interviewed by an admissions counselor to determine if their goals correspond with program objectives and services.

Academic Support Services

GS students have an array of services to help them adjust to the rigorous NYU Tandon School of Engineering curriculum. Services include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • A six-week on-site or online summer program before the start of their first year.
    • On-site students take a computer skills for engineerings class and pre-college math, physics, and writing courses. Otherwise, students take an online math course. NYU Admissions decides whether the student’s summer experience will be on-site or online; regardless of format, student participation in one or the other is required for admission to the NYU School of Engineering in the fall.
  • College survival skills course.
  • Small group tutoring and exam review sessions.
  • Individual and group advisement sessions.

Admission under the Higher Education Opportunity Program

The Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is funded by New York State to provide broad and varied educational instruction to capable students who, due to limited academic and financial resources, might otherwise not have the opportunity to attend NYU. Once admitted to the HEOP program, students receive financial assistance, counseling, tutoring, advisement, and other support services throughout their college career. HEOP’s goal at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering is to retain and graduate students who are traditionally underrepresented in engineering and science. Students can also be considered for CSTEP (Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program).

Admission as an International Student

International students must meet the following criteria for admission to NYU Tandon School of Engineering and be eligible to receive a valid I-20 or DS-2019:

  • Academic credentials (grades, certificates, degrees) must be assessed as suitable for entry to the specific NYU School of Engineering program. Transcripts must be submitted with official translations. One source for official translations is World Education Services at www.wes.org.
  • Submission of standardized testing is required for first year student admission (www.nyu.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/apply/freshmen-applicants/instructions/standardized-tests.html).
  • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS is required of all students whose native language is not English. Students who have done 3 or more years in an English curriculum are exempt. Waivers for English language testing may be found here.
  • Admitted international students applying for an F-1 or J-1 student visa are required to submit a signed and completed NYU Declaration and Certification of Finances (Affidavit of Support) accompanied by a bank statement signed by a bank official to receive an I-20 or DS- 2019.
  • Students holding F-1 or J-1 visas must enroll as full-time students.

If transfer credit is desired, candidates must include catalog or syllabus descriptions of courses completed. English translation must be provided where necessary. An official transfer-credit evaluation will be done, as soon as possible, after the student is admitted to NYU Tandon School of Engineering and meets with a member of the admissions staff and a departmental adviser.

Admission as a Transfer Student

The NYU Tandon School of Engineering welcomes transfer students from accredited colleges and universities, provided they have maintained a strong academic record. In addition to the Common Application transfer applicants must submit the following to be eligible for transfer admission at NYU:

  • One Instructor Evaluation completed by a professor or instructor at the college/university level.
  • Official test scores that meet the University requirements for Standardized Tests. Transfer applicants who have already completed at least one year of full-time college or university enrollment by the time they apply are exempt from having to submit standardized test results to NYU. International transfer applicants, however, must review the English language testing requirements, which apply to both freshman and transfer candidates. If the applicant has not already completed one full year of full-time college or university enrollment by the time the application is submitted, the same standardized testing requirements that are outlined by Undergraduate Admissions on the Standardized Tests page for Freshman Applicants must be met.
  • The Common Application College Official’s Report submitted by an adviser or a school official who can verify previous or current enrollment at a college/university.
  • Official college/university transcripts submitted directly by the college/university registrar at any and all institutions attended.
  • The Common Application Final Report and secondary/high school transcript submitted directly by a counselor or school official at the secondary/high school attended. Please note: Secondary/high school transcript (or General Education Diploma) is required regardless of when the applicant graduated.

Once accepted, transfer students’ credits will be evaluated to determine which are transferable. Students are required to submit their college catalog, and/or syllabi, describing courses under consideration for transfer credit.

All transfer credit evaluations must be completed before the end of the first semester in which the transfer student is enrolled at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Transfer credit is awarded on the basis of current standards and curriculum. Therefore, it is possible that credits NYU Tandon School of Engineering had previously awarded for courses taken at other universities may no longer be granted at this time. Transfer credit will not be considered for any course with less than a C grade. Any student who completes a course in residence at NYU Tandon School of Engineering for which transfer credit has already been granted will automatically forfeit the transfer credit for that course.

In certain instances, course requirements may be waived for students who demonstrate sufficient knowledge of specific course content through either oral or written examinations given by the department. When course requirements are waived, the student will not receive credit for the course, but must substitute a more advanced course to satisfy the degree requirement.

The grades for transfer courses are not included in computing the NYU Tandon School of Engineering grade-point average. New transfer students may be admitted on a part-time or full-time basis and are required to take a mathematics diagnostic examination and a writing placement exam.

Admission as an Internal Transfer

If a student who currently attends another school of NYU would like to be considered for admission to NYU Tandon, he/she may utilize the online internal transfer application in Albert’s Application Center.

In order to be eligible to submit an application to start in their third semester, students must be in at least their second semester of consecutive full-time study at their current NYU school or college. Students who have previously applied for an internal transfer and were denied admission must wait one full academic year before becoming eligible to reapply. Likewise, students who have already completed an internal transfer must wait one full academic year before applying for another.

There is no application fee for internal transfers. They may submit only one application at a time. Applications submitted after the stated application deadline will be considered only on a space-available basis. Visit the Internal Transfer website for more information.

Admission as a Part-Time Student

Students seeking a bachelor’s degree may enroll on a part-time basis (11 credits or less). Part-time undergraduate students should be aware that it is not possible to complete a bachelor’s degree program by attending only evening courses.

Regulations concerning subject requirements and admissions procedures are given in the section “Admissions as a First Year Student.”

Following notification of acceptance, students are told when to contact the adviser of their major department. In some cases, this contact may be accomplished during registration.

Special and Visiting Status

Individuals interested in pursuing undergraduate coursework at the School of Engineering, must submit a visiting student application to the Office of University Programs. University Programs provides support and services to visiting students during all semesters, including Fall in NY, January Term, Spring in NY, and Summer Sessions. Additional information regarding available programs and the application process can be found on the NYU Visiting Students page.

Conditional Status

An undergraduate degree applicant who is required to demonstrate additional ability to pursue the program applied for is assigned conditional status. Conditions may include taking introductory level courses, limited courses per semester, or attainment of a specified grade-point average.


Within the full-time and part-time classifications of undergraduate admissions are three status groups: regular, conditional and special/visiting student. A change in status from conditional to regular should be applied for when the conditions of admission are satisfied. A special or visiting student must file an application for undergraduate admissions with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.


NYU Tandon students who have not been in attendance for one semester or more and have not been granted an approved leave of absence (see “Leave of Absence ”) must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The student’s application for readmission will be sent to the student’s academic department for evaluation. The academic department in consultation with the Office of Academic Affairs determine whether the student is eligible to continue his/her studies at the School. If a former Tandon student has, in the meantime, engaged in coursework at another college or university, a transfer application must be filed for admission consideration.

Students who have been academically disqualified must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students applying for readmission are expected to state their reasons for leaving Tandon and explain why they want to return. 

Graduate Admissions

The Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions (Wunsch Hall, Brooklyn NY 11201, (646) 997-3182) manages all graduate application requirements and processes for the Tandon School of Engineering and reserves the right to change requirements at any time in consultation with the Associate Dean for Graduate Academics. The guidelines and requirements in this catalog and on the Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website supersede graduate admissions information posted or referenced elsewhere.

To be eligible for admission as a graduate student, an applicant must first hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering comprised of at least four years of post-secondary work. An applicant applying to a graduate program in an area of study different from the field in which an undergraduate degree was earned may be required to take additional prerequisite courses (see “Conditional Status” below).

Admission Procedures

All applicants for graduate study must submit:

  • Graduate application and application fee submitted by published deadline
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • A Statement of Purpose
  • A resume / C.V.
  • Required official standardized test scores sent from testing organization(s)
  • Official transcripts from all previously-attended post-secondary institutions

Documents that must be mailed should be sent to NYU Tandon School of Engineering, Graduate Admissions Processing Center, 458 Pike Road, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006.

Application Deadlines

Application deadlines for each semester are published on the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/.

Graduate Admissions Examinations 

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for all applicants for admission to all doctoral programs and all full-time Master’s and Certificate programs, with the exception of the M.S. in Integrated Digital Media.  GMAT scores may be used only for certain programs offered by the Department of Technology Management and Innovation.  Some part-time Master’s and Certificate programs also require these examinations; a complete list of exam requirements by program can be found on the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/.

English Language Proficiency

All applicants to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering for graduate study must demonstrate excellent English language skills in reading, writing, speaking and comprehension.  Proficiency will be determined by the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English language Testing System), CAE (Cambridge Advanced English), Duolingo English Test or PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic exams.

The Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions reserves the right to request proof of English competency from any applicant. At least one of these exams is required for:

  1. All International applicants (those who have or will request a visa)
  2. Applicants whose first language is not English and/or who have not completed a bachelor’s degree in the United States.

Applicants may request a waiver of English language testing by submitting a request form to the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions prior to the posted application deadline (this form is available at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/).

Graduate Admission Status

Within the full-time and part-time classifications of graduate admission are three status groups: regular, conditional and special.

Regular Status

An admitted graduate applicant who is adequately prepared to begin graduate studies is assigned regular admission status with no conditions to meet upon the recommendation of the major department’s faculty.

Conditional Status

Conditional status is assigned to a graduate applicant who is required to demonstrate additional ability to pursue the program for which he or she applied. Conditions may include taking introductory level or undergraduate courses, providing proof of degree completion, or attaining a specified grade-point average. Conditional admission requirements take precedence over other university policies regarding academic status. Students who do not satisfy the conditions of their admission will be academically disqualified.

Visiting Student (Non-Matriculated) Status

Students may be enrolled as either visiting or non-degree students at the discretion of the department and with the approval of the Office of Graduate Academics. Such status allows visiting students to take courses with the intent of transferring their credits back to their home institution and for non-degree-seeking students to take courses for professional or personal development.

To qualify for visiting student status, applicants must provide a transcript indicating their enrollment in a graduate program at another accredited institution. Applicants must show that they are in good standing with the home institution. To qualify for non-degree status, applicants must show proof of a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.

A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in one semester and no more than 9 credits may be taken, overall, as a visiting or non-degree student. If a student is subsequently admitted to a degree program at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the courses taken while registered as a visiting or non-degree student are considered to have been taken in residence. Permission to take courses as a visiting or non-degree seeking student does not guarantee subsequent admission to a degree or certificate program. Students who have been denied admission to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering may not take (or continue to take) courses as a non-degree or visiting student.

For visiting and non-degree applications, GRE scores are not required and unofficial or official transcripts may be provided by the applicant. For students enrolled in a program at another institution, a letter from the student’s adviser or department chair is sufficient to establish that they are in good standing. A copy of the transcript(s) must be appended to the visiting student registration form.


Students who previously attended the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, who have not attended for one or more semesters, and who did not receive an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission after consultation with the Office of Graduate Academics.

Financial Aid

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Information regarding financial aid and scholarships at New York University is provided below:

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate Scholarships

Graduate scholarships are available for master’s students on a competitive basis. They are awarded at the time of admission and are primarily based on academic performance.  All graduate scholarship recipients are required to maintain the academic terms listed in their award letter in order to continue scholarship awards past their first enrolled semester.

Students who are admitted to multiple graduate programs are eligible for only one offered scholarship; it is the policy of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering to not “stack” scholarship awards.

Research Fellowships

Doctoral students receiving research fellowships are assigned to research that fulfills the thesis requirement of the graduate curriculum in which they matriculate. They receive a living allowance and remitted tuition. Fellows must be registered as full-time students taking each semester nine or more credits, possibly including their thesis. Typically, funding comes from grants and contracts that faculty have secured from government agencies or industry. In these cases, the student’s research is also reported to the funding agency or company as part of the grant or contract requirements.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan is available to graduate students in the amount of $20,500 per academic year. Eligible students must (1) be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents, (2) matriculate and enroll in at least 4.5 credits per semester, (3) make satisfactory academic progress and (4) demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To apply, students must complete a FAFSA each year.  First time Direct Loan borrowers must also complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling session (online).

Student borrowers who withdraw from the school or enroll less than half-time will be required to complete the Exit Counseling session (online). Borrowers must begin repaying the loan six months after graduating or withdrawing from school. Direct Lending offers many different repayment options, and deferments and forgiveness options are also available. Borrowers should contact Direct Lending regarding any of these options.

Graduate Federal Direct Plus Loan

PLUS loans are federal loans that Graduate students may use to help pay for college expenses. Graduate students whose full cost of attendance is not covered by the William D. Ford Unsubsidized Direct Loan may apply for the Graduate Direct PLUS loan. Students may apply for up to the full cost of attendance minus any financial aid. A FAFSA is required and the Unsubsidized Direct Loan must be accepted before applying for the PLUS loan. The loan is not guaranteed and is subject to credit approval. Repayment can be deferred until graduation or withdrawal from the University. Contact the NYU Office of Financial Aid or the Federal Student Aid website regarding interest rates and application process.

Bills, Payments and Refunds

The Office of the Bursar is the central billing and collection point for New York University. The department is responsible for managing the university billing, collecting, refunding and cashiering functions.