2016-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (without addenda) 
    Jun 13, 2024  
2016-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (without addenda) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions, Financial Aid, Tuition and Fees



The courses of study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering are academically rigorous and intellectually challenging; therefore, admission is highly selective. Candidates for admission to graduate programs are evaluated by the department to which they apply. Students seeking admission to the undergraduate programs are evaluated by the professional staff of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Undergraduate Application Process

Application materials and information about undergraduate admissions may be obtained by contacting the Admissions Office. Please visit the NYU Admissions website for more information.

Undergraduate applicants should complete the Common Application for admission and forward it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at New York University with either the nonrefundable application fee or a fee-waiver request form. Applicants must request that their secondary school and/or college forward official copies of all transcripts to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Additionally, applicants must submit an essay and two letters of recommendation. All freshman applicants must meet standardized testing requirements, which are available on the Undergraduate Admissions website. Transfer applicants may have standardized testing requirements as well.

New York University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions reviews applications once all required documents are received and notifies students of decisions via email.

If accepted for admission, applicants should submit an enrollment deposit of $500 to reserve a place in the entering class. This deposit is applied to tuition and fees for the first semester and is non-refundable. Deposits to reserve a place in the entering freshman class are due May 1. Deposits to reserve a place for entering transfer students specified on the admission letter. Students who submit deposits after the deadline will be accommodated only if space in the class is available for the semester.

Applicants accepted for the fall semester may begin their studies in the summer session by completing a visiting student admission application after receiving their official offer of admission. NYU School of Engineering offers two summer sessions to help students who wish to accelerate or supplement their studies, but students are not expected to officially matriculate as degree-seeking candidates until the Fall.

Admission as First Year Students


Applicants for admission as freshmen are required to submit standardized test results to be considered for admission. Please see the NYU admissions website for specifics on the testing policy. Students who are admitted to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering and plan on enrolling are required to take two placement examinations before registration.

The preferred secondary school course of study is:

Course Years  
English 4  
Science 4  
(Chemistry is required and Physics is strongly recommended.)
Mathematics 4  
(Sequential I, II, III, precalculus, calculus)

This course of study is only a directive, not an absolute requirement. The primary concern of the members of the Committee on Admissions is to determine an applicant’s potential for success at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.

First Year Students with Advanced Standing

Incoming first year students may receive advanced standing with college credit at NYU Tandon School of Engineering by scoring exceptionally well on the Advanced Placement Examinations given by the College Board. Specific requirements for administering college credit - for the Advanced Placement and the International Baccalaureate Exam, for the French Baccalaureate or for the General Certificate Exam A levels, etc. - vary from department to department.

Admission under the General Studies Program

Admission to the General Studies Program is by invitation only. Selected first-year applicants to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering are invited to submit an application and may be interviewed by an admissions counselor to determine if their goals correspond with program objectives and services.

Academic Support Services

GS students have an array of services to help them adjust to the rigorous NYU Tandon School of Engineering curriculum. Services include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • A six-week on-site or online summer program before the start of their first year.
    • On-site students take a computer skills for engineerings class and pre-college math, physics, and writing courses. Otherwise, students take an online math course. NYU Admissions decides whether the student’s summer experience will be on-site or online; regardless of format, student participation in one or the other is required for admission to the NYU School of Engineering in the fall.
  • College survival skills course.
  • Small group tutoring and exam review sessions.
  • Individual and group advisement sessions.

Admission under the Higher Education Opportunity Program

The Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is funded by New York State to provide broad and varied educational instruction to capable students who, due to limited academic and financial resources, might otherwise not have the opportunity to attend NYU. Once admitted to the HEOP program, students receive financial assistance, counseling, tutoring, advisement, and other support services throughout their college career. HEOP’s goal at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering is to retain and graduate students who are traditionally underrepresented in engineering and science.

Admission as an International Student

International students must meet the following criteria for admission to NYU Tandon School of Engineering and be eligible to receive a valid I-20 or DS-2019:

  • Academic credentials (grades, certificates, degrees) must be assessed as suitable for entry to the specific NYU School of Engineering program. Transcripts must be submitted with official translations. One source for official translations is World Education Services at www.wes.org.
  • Submission of standardized testing is required for first year student admission (www.nyu.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/apply/freshmen-applicants/instructions/standardized-tests.html).
  • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS is required of all students whose native language is not English. This requirement may be waived, in some circumstances.
  • Admitted international students applying for an F-1 or J-1 student visa are required to submit a signed and completed NYU Declaration and Certification of Finances (Affidavit of Support) accompanied by a bank statement signed by a bank official to receive an I-20 or DS- 2019.
  • Students holding F-1 or J-1 visas must enroll as full-time students.

If transfer credit is desired, candidates must include catalog or syllabus descriptions of courses completed. English translation must be provided where necessary. An official transfer-credit evaluation will be done, as soon as possible, after the student is admitted to NYU Tandon School of Engineering and meets with a member of the admissions staff and a departmental adviser.

Admission as a Transfer Student

The NYU Tandon School of Engineering welcomes transfer students from accredited colleges and universities, provided they have maintained a strong academic record. In addition to the Common Application transfer applicants must submit the following to be eligible for transfer admission at NYU:

  • One Instructor Evaluation completed by a professor or instructor at the college/university level.
  • Official test scores that meet the University requirements for Standardized Tests. Transfer applicants who have already completed at least one year of full-time college or university enrollment in liberal arts and science courses are exempt from having to submit standardized test results to NYU. International transfer applicants, however, must review the English language testing requirements, which apply to both freshman and transfer candidates. If the applicant has not already completed one full year of full-time college or university enrollment in liberal arts and science courses by the time the application is submitted, the same standardized testing requirements that are outlined by Undergraduate Admissions on the Standardized Tests page for Freshman Applicants must be met.
  • The Common Application Registrar’s Report submitted by an adviser or a school official who can verify previous or current enrollment at a college/university.
  • Official college/university transcripts submitted directly by the college/university registrar at any and all institutions attended.
  • The Common Application Final Report and secondary/high school transcript submitted directly by a counselor or school official at the secondary/high school attended. Please note: Secondary/high school transcript (or General Education Diploma) is required regardless of when the applicant graduated.

Once accepted, transfer students’ credits will be evaluated to determine which are transferable. Students are required to submit their college catalog, and/or syllabi, describing courses under consideration for transfer credit.

All transfer credit evaluations must be completed before the end of the first semester in which the transfer student is enrolled at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Transfer credit is awarded on the basis of current standards and curriculum. Therefore, it is possible that credits NYU Tandon School of Engineering had previously awarded for courses taken at other universities may no longer be granted at this time. Transfer credit will not be considered for any course with less than a C grade. Any student who completes a course in residence at NYU Tandon School of Engineering for which transfer credit has already been granted will automatically forfeit the transfer credit for that course.

In certain instances, course requirements may be waived for students who demonstrate sufficient knowledge of specific course content through either oral or written examinations given by the department. When course requirements are waived, the student will not receive credit for the course, but must substitute a more advanced course to satisfy the degree requirement.

The grades for transfer courses are not included in computing the NYU Tandon School of Engineering grade-point average. New transfer students may be admitted on a part-time or full-time basis and are required to take a mathematics diagnostic examination and a writing placement exam.

Admission as an Internal Transfer

If a student who currently attends another school of NYU would like to be considered for admission to NYU Tandon, he/she may utilize the online internal transfer application in Albert’s Application Center.

In order to be eligible, students must be in at least their second semester of consecutive full-time study at their current NYU school or college. Students who have previously applied for an internal transfer and were denied admission must wait one full academic year before becoming eligible to reapply. Likewise, students who have already completed an internal transfer must wait one full academic year before applying for another.

There is no application fee for internal transfers. They may submit only one application at a time. Applications submitted after the stated application deadline will be considered only on a space-available basis. Visit the Internal Transfer website for more information.

Admission as a Part-Time Student

Students seeking a bachelor’s degree may enroll on a part-time basis (11 credits or less). Part-time undergraduate students should be aware that it is not possible to complete a bachelor’s degree program by attending only evening courses.

Regulations concerning subject requirements and admissions procedures are given in the section “Admissions as a First Year Student.”

Following notification of acceptance, students are told when to contact the adviser of their major department. In some cases, this contact may be accomplished during registration.

Special and Visiting Status

Individuals interested in pursuing undergraduate coursework at the School of Engineering, must submit a visiting student application to the Office of University Programs. University Programs provides support and services to visiting students during all semesters, including Fall in NY, January Term, Spring in NY, and Summer Sessions. Additional information regarding available programs and the application process can be found on the NYU Visiting Students page.

Conditional Status

An undergraduate degree applicant who is required to demonstrate additional ability to pursue the program applied for is assigned conditional status. Conditions may include taking introductory level courses, limited courses per semester, or attainment of a specified grade-point average.


Within the full-time and part-time classifications of undergraduate admissions are three status groups: regular, conditional and special/visiting student. A change in status from conditional to regular should be applied for when the conditions of admission are satisfied. A special or visiting student must file an application for undergraduate admissions with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.


NYU Tandon students who have not been in attendance for one semester or more and have not been granted an approved leave of absence (see “Leave of Absence ”) must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The student’ s application for readmission will be sent to the student’s academic department for evaluation. The academic department in consultation with the Office of Academic Affairs determine whether the student is eligible to continue his/her studies at the School. If a former Tandon student has, in the meantime, engaged in coursework at another college or university, a transfer application must be filed for admission consideration

Students who have been academically disqualified must apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students applying for readmission are expected to state their reasons for leaving Tandon and explain why they want to return. They must also submit with their application for readmission official transcripts of college-level courses taken during this absence from the Tandon School of Engineering.

Graduate Admissions

The Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions (Wunsch Hall, Brooklyn NY 11201, (646) 997-3182) manages all graduate application requirements and processes for the Tandon School of Engineering and reserves the right to change requirements at any time in consultation with the Associate Dean for Graduate Academics. The guidelines and requirements in this catalog and on the Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website supersede graduate admissions information posted or referenced elsewhere.

To be eligible for admission as a graduate student, an applicant must first hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering comprised of at least four years of post-secondary work. An applicant applying to a graduate program in an area of study different from the field in which an undergraduate degree was earned may be required to take additional prerequisite courses (see “Conditional Status”).

Admission Procedures

All applicants for graduate study must submit:

  • Graduate application and application fee submitted by published deadline
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • A Statement of Purpose
  • A resume / C.V.
  • Required official standardized test scores sent from testing organization(s)
  • Official transcripts from all previously-attended post-secondary institutions

Documents that must be mailed should be sent to NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering, Graduate Admissions Processing Center, 15 Dan Road, Suite 102, Canton, MA 02021.

Application Deadlines

Application deadlines for each semester are published on the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/.

Graduate Admissions Examinations 

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for all applicants for admission to all doctoral programs and all full-time Master’s and Certificate programs, with the exception of the M.S. in Integrated Digital Media.  GMAT scores may be used only for certain programs offered by the Department of Technology Management and Innovation.  Some part-time Master’s and Certificate programs also require these examinations; a complete list of exam requirements by program can be found on the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions website at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/.

English Language Proficiency

All applicants to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering for graduate study must demonstrate excellent English language skills in reading, writing, speaking and comprehension.  Proficiency will be determined by the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English language Testing System), CAE (Cambridge Advanced English) or PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic exams.  The Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions reserves the right to request proof of English competency from any applicant.  At least one of these exams is required for:

All International applicants (those who have or will request a visa)
Applicants (including US citizens and US Permanent Residents) who have not completed a bachelor’s degree in the United States.

Applicants may request a waiver of English language testing by submitting a request form to the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management and Admissions prior to the posted application deadline (this form is available at http://engineering.nyu.edu/grad/). 

In certain cases, graduate students may be required to attend an intensive English program at the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies American Language Institute (ALI) upon enrollment. Credits obtained in ALI courses will not be included in the computation of the GPA or toward graduate degree completion. Students must attend ALI courses while taking a reduced graduate academic load of six credits per semester until reaching required English language proficiency, and failure to successfully complete required ESL courses will lead to academic dismissal.

Graduate Admission Status

Within the full-time and part-time classifications of graduate admission are three status groups: regular, conditional and special.

Regular Status

An admitted graduate applicant who is adequately prepared to begin graduate studies is assigned regular admission status with no conditions to meet upon the recommendation of the major department’s faculty.

Conditional Status

Conditional status is assigned to a graduate applicant who is required to demonstrate additional ability to pursue the program for which he or she applied. Conditions may include taking introductory level or undergraduate courses, providing proof of degree completion, or attaining a specified grade-point average. Conditional admission requirements take precedence over other university policies regarding academic status. Students who do not satisfy the conditions of their admission will be academically disqualified.

Visiting Student (Non-Matriculated) Status

Students may be enrolled as either visiting or non-degree students at the discretion of the department and with the approval of the Office of Graduate Academics. Such status allows visiting students to take courses with the intent of transferring their credits back to their home institution and for non-degree-seeking students to take courses for professional or personal development.

To qualify for visiting student status, applicants must provide a transcript indicating their enrollment in a graduate program at another accredited institution. Applicants must show that they are in good standing with the home institution. To qualify for non-degree status, applicants must show proof of a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.

A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in one semester and no more than 9 credits may be taken, overall, as a visiting or non-degree student. If a student is subsequently admitted to a degree program at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the courses taken while registered as a visiting or non-degree student are considered to have been taken in residence. Permission to take courses as a visiting or non-degree seeking student does not guarantee subsequent admission to a degree or certificate program. Students who have been denied admission to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering may not take (or continue to take) courses as a non-degree or visiting student.

For visiting and non-degree applications, GRE scores are not required and unofficial or official transcripts may be provided by the applicant. For students enrolled in a program at another institution, a letter from the student’s adviser or department chair is sufficient to establish that they are in good standing. A copy of the transcript(s) must be appended to the visiting student registration form.


Students who previously attended the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, who have not attended for one or more semesters, and who did not receive an approved leave of absence must apply for readmission after consultation with the Office of Graduate Academics.

Financial Aid

Undergraduate Financial Aid

NYU Tandon School of Engineering administers a broad range of scholarship and financial aid programs to assist students in pursuing their educational goals. To meet the total cost of education, students may draw upon such available sources as student income, family income, School grants and federal and state funding.

All financial aid is limited to the need of the student as determined by the federal government’s need analysis calculation. Students receiving financial assistance from outside sources, including scholarships, loans and other forms of educational assistance, must notify the Office of Financial Aid.

The following are three basic types of financial aid:

Scholarships and grants: funds awarded to students based on academic ability and financial need that do not require repayment.
Loans: specific sums awarded to students with repayment conditions. Education loans generally have low-interest rates with extended repayment terms.
Employment: part-time and summer jobs either on- or off-campus.

Approximately 90% of NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s undergraduate students receive aid, including scholarships, grants, work-study jobs and student loans.

Applying for Financial Aid

Incoming first year students should file the CSS Profile (and Noncustodial Profile if applicable) by the deadlines which are dependent on whether you are an Early Decision or Regular Decision applicant. In addition to the CSS Profile, U.S. citizens and permanent residents are also required to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 to secure both NYU scholarship and federal financial aid. Applications received later will be considered on a rolling basis if funds are available.

NY State Undocumented Students will also need to file an Undocumented Student Financial Aid Application in addition to the CSS Profile (and Noncustodial Profile if applicable).  The deadlines for the Undocumented Student Financial Aid Application are the same as the deadlines for the CSS Profile.  For more information on applying for financial aid as an Undocumented Student, please review the information on the Office of Financial Aid website.

Transfer students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents should file a FAFSA by April 1. International transfer students are ineligible for financial aid.

Before completing the FAFSA, students should be sure to have a valid PIN number. This will serve as an electronic signature. To apply for a PIN number, please visit www.pin.ed.gov.

Parents of dependent students are required to sign the FAFSA so they should also apply for a federal PIN number at www.pin.ed.gov. Dependent students who complete the FAFSA without a parent signature will be rejected by the processor.

For comprehensive information on the application process, please see How to Apply on the Office of Financial Aid website.

Renewing Financial Aid

All currently enrolled students must reapply for financial aid annually by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by May 1st.  U.S. citizens and permanent residents should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and International Students should file the CSS Profile (the Noncustodial Profile is only required for the first year, not as a returning student). U.S. citizens and permanent residents do not need to file the CSS Profile. The FAFSA is available as of January 1st each year. 

Students filing after May 1st will be considered late and may not qualify for all types of aid, such as NYU scholarship.

Students should make sure that all required sections of the FAFSA are competed before submitting:

  • Signed by student (and parent for dependent students);
  • Enter the code for New York University - 002785;
  • Include housing status - on campus, commuting or off campus.

Include state residency information. New York residents should utilize NYS TAP to apply for NY State aid; the College Code for TAP is 0555.

Federal Campus-Based Programs

Students eligible for a federal campus-based program must (1) show need, (2) be enrolled at least half time (the equivalent of at least six credits per semester) and (3) confirm they are either a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.

To apply for any of these programs, students must have been accepted to NYU Tandon School of Engineering and have filed a FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid determines the awards based upon the student’s Estimated Family Contribution as determined by their FAFSA.

To continue to receive an award, students must make satisfactory academic progress, provide the Office of Financial Aid with all requested documents and report any changes in their financial situation annually.

All campus-based programs are contingent on annual awarding by the federal government. Renewal of awards may be affected.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students to help meet college-related expenses. The Office of Financial Aid determines eligibility.

At NYU Tandon School of Engineering, the average federal work-study award is $1,500 per academic year. Jobs are arranged on-campus, along with community service opportunities. Most assignments average 10 to 15 hours a week, and the work schedule is adjusted to the student’s and the employer’s needs. The hourly rate varies depending on the position. Students are paid bi-weekly.

Federal and State Sponsored Programs

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based program. Students apply for the Federal Pell Grant by completing a FAFSA. Awards are determined by the U.S. Department of Education according to an eligibility index and by the level of appropriations available. Grants are for study leading to a first bachelor’s degree.

Eligible students must (1) be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, (2) make satisfactory academic progress and (3) meet federal need requirements.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Eligible students must (1) be New York State residents and U.S. citizens or permanent residents, (2) enroll full-time at an approved New York State post-secondary institution, (3) meet income requirements established by New York State, (4) complete a TAP application by May 1st for the current academic year and (5) not be in default on a federal or state student loan.

To apply for a TAP award, students should complete a TAP Application. NYU’s TAP College Code is 0555.

To continue to receive TAP benefits, students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress. All TAP recipients must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 after the completion of four full-time TAP payments.

In addition, students must fulfill the following academic requirements:

Complete a minimum number of credits by the end of each term of full-time study;
Maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point-average. The table below provides the correspondence between TAP payment points and academic progress.

Academic Progress for TAP Purposes

TAP Payment Min. Credits Completed
in Prior Semester
Minimum Cumulative GPA  
1 0 0.00  
2 6 1.50  
3 15 1.80  
4 27 1.80  
5 39 2.00  
6 51 2.00  
7 66 2.00  
8 81 2.00  

TAP Waiver: Students who do not meet the criteria as indicated on Requirements 1 and 2 may be eligible for a one-time TAP Waiver. For appeal and consideration by the TAP Waiver Committee, students must file a TAP Waiver Form with the TAP certifying Officer in the Student Financial Services Office.

Vietnam Veterans Tuition Awards (VVTA) Supplement

In 1984, the New York State Legislature established the Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award program to provide tuition assistance for full-time or part-time undergraduate student for veterans who are residents of the state, who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 17, 1975, and who were discharged under honorable conditions or general discharge.

Since 1984, the program has been expanded to include veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990 and in Afghanistan on or after September 11, 2001, and to provide awards for graduate as well as undergraduate study.

In 2008, the legislature further amended the law to also include “other eligible combat veterans.” This group includes individuals who are New York State residents, who served in the armed forces of the United States in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961, as evident by their receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, or Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal and who were discharged under honorable conditions, as noted above.

For full-time study, veterans are eligible for an award equal to the amount of undergraduate tuition for New York State residents charged by the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less.

For part-time study, awards are prorated by credit hour. Part-time study for Veterans Tuition Awards is defined as at least three, but fewer than 12, semester hours at degree-granting institutions.

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)

HEOP is sponsored by New York State and NYU Tandon School of Engineering for entering freshmen who meet special academic and economic criteria. All inquiries are administered directly through the Office of HEOP. Consult the “Admissions” section and “Special Programs ” for more information.

Awards are available for up to four years of undergraduate study, or five years for enrollment in the HEOP Program and up to three years of graduate study.

School Scholarships and Grants

The NYU Tandon School of Engineering awards scholarships to first year students with strong academic backgrounds for full-time study (12 credit hours a semester). Scholarships are offered through the Promise Fund, which administers more than 100 different programs. Students apply to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions through their application for admission. Awards may cover up to full tuition. Scholars must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

NYU Tandon School of Engineering awards the following scholarships:

Promise Scholarships

These merit scholarships are awarded in varying amounts, based on scholastic achievement. No award may be greater than the amount of tuition less any other aid for which students may be eligible. Scholars must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA. No separate application is required to receive or renew the Promise Scholarship. However, all incoming new students must complete a CSS Profile to be considered for institutional merit based scholarships.

NYU Tandon School of Engineering Grants

The need-based grants are awarded to students who demonstrate high financial need. Students apply directly to the NYU School of Engineering’s Office of Financial Aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must also complete the CSS Profile by the deadlines.

Promise Fund

Corporate and Individually Sponsored Scholarships

NYU Tandon School of Engineering scholarships are established through generous sponsors. Students are notified if their particular scholarship is corporate or individually donated.

Other Opportunities

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits

Eligible Veterans should apply for benefits through the Office of the Registrar. A summary of Veterans’ benefits is available in the Office of the Registrar.

Students requesting VA benefits should notify the Office of the Registrar each semester after completing registration. Students must report interrupted attendance or termination of study. Details of NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s requirements are given to all applicants. Please direct questions about veterans’ benefits or paperwork to the Office of the Registrar either in person or by telephone.

Grant Aid to Non-New York State Residents

Some state-aid programs frequently require that awarded funds be used within the state, while other programs sometimes allow funds to be used out of state. Residents of Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington, D.C., should contact the following agencies for more financial aid information:

Pennsylvania Higher Education
Assistance Agency
Education Building
Harrisburg, PA 17126

Office of Scholarships
Rhode Island Department of Education
199 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation
156 College Street
Burlington, VT 05401

Washington, D.C. Grant Program
Educational Assistance Office
1329 E. Street NW
Room 1050
Washington, DC 20004

Loan Programs

William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Loan program allows students to borrow money to help meet the costs of college. Students borrow this money and on to go into repayment as long as they meet the program’s academic requirements or until six months after they graduate or withdraw from school.

Eligible students must be (1) U.S citizen or permanent resident, (2) enroll for at least six credits per semester and matriculate, (3) make satisfactory academic progress, (4) demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA).

Academic year loan limits are $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores and $5,500 for juniors and seniors. Interest is subsidized by the government and does not accrue as long as the student meets programs requirements.

To apply, students must complete the FAFSA each year. First time Direct Loan borrowers must also complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling session (online).

When student borrowers graduate, withdraw from school or enroll less than half-time, they will be required to complete the Exit Counseling session (online). Borrowers must begin repaying the loan six months after graduating or withdrawing from school. Direct Lending offers many different repayment options. Deferments and forgiveness options are also available. Borrowers should contact Direct Lending regarding any repayment, deferment or forgiveness options.

Repayment of part or of the entire loan may be made in advance at any time without penalty.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan is open to students who do not qualify for a subsidized loan (listed above). The same terms, conditions, annual borrowing limits apply. The only exception is that the borrower is responsible for interest that accrues while enrolled in school and during the six month grace period. Unpaid interest will be capitalized upon repayment after grace period.

In addition, independent students and dependent students whose parents are unable to secure a PLUS loan, may apply for an additional $4,000 annually at the freshmen and sophomore levels or $5,000 annually at the junior and senior level.

Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS)

PLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay for college expenses. Parents may borrow up to the full cost of attendance for each financially dependent student. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required. Standard repayment begins within 60 days of receiving the final disbursement for the loan period. Deferment options are available so that repayment can be postponed until student graduates, withdraws or drops below half-time enrollment. Interest will accrue while in deferment. Parents must contact Direct Lending if they wish to defer.

Important Financial Aid Policies

  • To be eligible for financial aid, students must enroll at least half-time per semester. However, students must register full time to receive TAP grants and NYU Tandon School of Engineering scholarships and grants.
  • Financial aid applicants (including Federal Direct Loan applicants) must apply for a Pell Grant and, in the case of New York residents, for TAP. NYU Tandon School of Engineering scholarships and grants, combined with TAP, may not exceed tuition.
  • Prospective students should not wait until their admission to apply for financial aid. These are concurrent processes. Applicants should apply for admission and financial aid (by filing all applications by the preferred application dates. Once students are admitted, they are reviewed for both merit and need-based financial aid. Most NYU scholarships are based on a combination of need and merit and require that the financial aid applications be submitted by our deadlines.  Scholarships based purely on merit are limited and do not require a financial aid application as all students are reviewed for merit only scholarship upon admission.
  • Financial aid is renewable annually based on the student’s reapplication in filing the FAFSA or CSS Profile (depending on whether you are a U.S. citizen/permanent resident or an international student), determination of continued demonstration of financial need where applicable, and fulfillment of other requirements as stipulated by their awards.
  • Standards of achievement for scholarship maintenance are reviewed each year at the end of the spring semester. More information is available below.
  • Since certain financial aid and scholarship funds administered by the NYU Tandon School of Engineering are limited, students should enroll after receipt of confirmed financial support. Funds not administered by the School, such as Pell Grants, TAP and the Direct Loans, are available to eligible students.
  • Title IV Financial Aid (Pell Grants, College Work Study, Perkins Loan and Stafford Loans) are contingent upon receipt of the following documents:
    1. A valid FAFSA application;
    2. Properly signed Financial Aid Acceptance letter;
    3. Copy of student’s and/or parent’s IRS tax forms, if requested;
    4. Proof of citizenship or permanent residency status, if requested;
    5. Selective Service Registration for males - born after 1960;
    6. Other documents as required for verification of information stated on the students FAFSA.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must meet the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements to qualify for all federal, state, and institutional awards. Satisfactory academic progress has a two-fold criteria. Students must achieve a specific cumulative grade point average (GPA) AND must pass a percentage of their total credits attempted. Satisfactory academic progress requirements are listed online at https://www.nyu.edu/about/policies-guidelines-compliance/policies-and-guidelines/eligibility-for-financial-aid.html#progress.

SAP is reviewed at the end of each spring term. Based on federal regulation, students who do not meet the SAP standard and enroll in a term are considered to be using their probationary semester, regardless of whether they pursue financial aid. (Example: If after the spring term you are not meeting the SAP standard and you are enrolled in the summer term, the summer term would be considered your probationary semester regardless of whether you pursue financial aid.)

Approval will be reviewed based on the following criteria:

  • the student is able to mathematically meet Satisfactory Academic Progress after one semester of enrollment
  • the student has never had a probationary semester before during the current degree
  • the student has never been denied financial aid for a previous semester due to an Academic Progress issue

Students who are approved will be placed on financial aid probation for one semester. The student will remain eligible for financial aid and will continue to receive financial assistance during the approved probationary semester.

Students who meet the SAP standard at the end of their probationary semester will be restored to Satisfactory Academic Progress status. Students who do not meet the SAP requirements at the end of the probationary period will be placed on financial aid suspension (described above).

Students are permitted only one semester of financial aid probation. If a student meets the SAP requirement at the end of their probationary semester but later fails again to meet the SAP requirement, the student is not eligible for additional financial aid probation, except in the event of illness or injury.

Students requesting additional aid consideration on the basis of documented special circumstances, such as illness or injury, must submit the appeal form no later than the last day of the semester’s add/drop period to ensure proper time is available for review. In such cases, if approved, an individualized academic contract is created for their probation term.

Impact of Withdrawal on Financial Aid

Students who receive Title IV federal aid and withdraw from all courses prior to completing 60% of the academic term will have their federal financial aid pro-rated according to the Federal Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation.

In accordance with federal regulations, students who totally withdraw from the NYU School of Engineering and received Federal Title IV financial assistance (Direct Loans, Pell, or Perkins Loans) will be subject to the Federal Refund Policy on the possible return of funds awarded.

The amount of the semester’s unearned Federal Aid must be returned to its source. The amounts to be returned are based on the federal R2T4 calculation. When returning Title IV funds, the federally mandated priority listing will be used:

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  3. Perkins Loan
  4. Federal Direct Parent Loan
  5. Pell Grant

If a student has an account balance resulting from these adjustments, the student is responsible for payment.

Students who withdraw whose tuition charges are reduced or cancelled may no longer be eligible for NYU scholarship.  A review of scholarship eligibility will determine the portion of scholarship that the student may keep to cover billed charges.

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate Scholarships

Graduate scholarships are available for master’s students on a competitive basis. They are awarded at the time of admission and are primarily based on academic performance.  All graduate scholarship recipients are required to maintain the academic terms listed in their award letter in order to continue scholarship awards past their first enrolled semester.

Students who are admitted to multiple graduate programs are eligible for only one offered scholarship; it is the policy of the Polytechnic School of Engineering to not “stack” scholarship awards.

Research Fellowships

Doctoral students receiving research fellowships are assigned to research that fulfills the thesis requirement of the graduate curriculum in which they matriculate. They receive a living allowance and remitted tuition. Fellows must be registered as full-time students taking each semester nine or more credits, possibly including their thesis. Typically, funding comes from grants and contracts that faculty have secured from government agencies or industry. In these cases, the student’s research is also reported to the funding agency or company as part of the grant or contract requirements.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan is available to graduate students in the amount of $20,500 per academic year. Eligible students must (1) be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents, (2) matriculate and enroll in at least 4.5 credits per semester, (3) make satisfactory academic progress and (4) demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To apply, students must complete a FAFSA each year.  First time Direct Loan borrowers must also complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling session (online).

Student borrowers who withdraw from the school or enroll less than half-time will be required to complete the Exit Counseling session (online). Borrowers must begin repaying the loan six months after graduating or withdrawing from school. Direct Lending offers many different repayment options, and deferments and forgiveness options are also available. Borrowers should contact Direct Lending regarding any of these options.

Graduate Federal Direct Plus Loan

PLUS loans are federal loans that Graduate students may use to help pay for college expenses. Graduate students whose full cost of attendance is not covered by the William D. Ford Unsubsidized Direct Loan may apply for the Graduate Direct PLUS loan. Students may apply for up to the full cost of attendance minus any financial aid. A FAFSA is required and the Unsubsidized Direct Loan must be accepted before applying for the PLUS loan. The loan is not guaranteed and is subject to credit approval. Repayment can be deferred until graduation or withdrawal from the University. Contact the NYU Office of Financial Aid or the Federal Student Aid website regarding interest rates and application process.

Bills, Payments and Refunds

The Office of the Bursar is the central billing and collection point for New York University. The department is responsible for managing the university billing, collecting, refunding and cashiering functions.